Yesterday finally the Judgement has come over the case which was filed by Epic games to restore its Fortnite back on App Store. But Epic Games lose to restore Fortnite back on Apple App Store.
As judgment approved by the Federal judge in Oakland, California Yvonne Gonzales Rogers who refused to grant Epic Games a preliminary injunction against Apple that would force the game developer to reinstate Fortnite back on the App Store.
In short, we can say that now there is a Permanent Restraint on Fortnite to come back to the Apple App store which was temporary restrain by Apple from the last month.
Until the Epic Games didn’t decide to remove its own in-app payment mechanism that initiated the bitter legal feud in August, till that their will be no unban on Epic to public new game on IOS and cannot distribute Fortnite on App store.
Epic Games Lose to Restore Fortnite
There are two main decisions taken by the federal judge in Oakland, California:
- The first one is about the restoration of Fortnite on the App store which was permanently restrained by the judge.
- And the second decision which is in favor of Epic games Judge grants an injunction that keeps Apple from retaliating against the Unreal Engine, which also Epic owns.
To see the copy of the judgement click here.
Main Statements during the judgement
“Epic Games and Apple are at liberty to litigate this action for the future of the digital frontier, but their dispute should not create havoc to bystanders. Thus, the public interest weighs overwhelmingly in favor of Unreal Engine and the Epic Affiliates,” the above statement has been said by the judge during the judgment taken, keeping in mind of no harm to Epic’s Unreal Engine business.
A statement has come from the Epic Spokesperson in which he said “Epic Games is grateful that Apple will continue to be barred from retaliating against Unreal Engine and our game development customers as the litigation continues, Also he said that they will continue to develop their IOS and Mac version under the court surveillance and will soon end up the anti-competitive behavior of the Apple”.
There are also statement come from the Apple spokesperson in which he said that “Apple customer has been dependent on App store by thinking it as the safe and trusted place where all developers follow the same set of rules, We’re grateful the court recognized that Epic’s actions were not good for their own customers and that any problems they may have encountered were their own making when they breached their agreement. For twelve years, the App Store has been an economic miracle, creating transformative business opportunities for large and small developers. We look forward to sharing this legacy of innovation and dynamism with the court next year.”
And the last statement which was said by the Federal Judge Roger to Epic as reported by CNN “You did something, you lied about it by omission, by not being forthcoming. That’s the security issue. That’s the security issue!” Rogers also added in the above statement that “There are a lot of people in the public who consider you guys heroes for what you guys did, but it’s still not honest, Rogers also include the fact in his statement that there are 30 percent cuts common in the gaming industry for console game makers like Microsoft, Nintendo, etc.”
Apple VS Epic Main Timelines
- 13th August: This is the date on which Apple kicks off the Epic Fortnite from its App Store, reason behind it is the introduction of the new direct-payment system in Fortnite to circumvent Apple’s 30 percent fee. As a result, Epic comes up with a case against Apple.
- 17th August: On this date, Epic claims that Apple has been threatened to terminate its developer account. This will lead to stop Epic from any further development for the game in IOS or Mac.
- 24th August: On this date, Epic wins temporary restraining order against Apple. In which Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers rules that Apple can’t terminate Epic’s developer account, but also that the iPhone maker does not have to restore Fortnite to the App Store.
- 8th September: Apple countersues Epic, for seeking damage for the company’s breach of contract. While filing in court Apple said that Epic has started this legal battle to draw attention to the Fortnite.
- 28th September: After hearing the statement from both Epic and Apple Judge Roger recommends a Jury Trial in July to settle the case.